Famous Metal Detecting Finds
This page lists famous treasure finds in the UK discovered with the aid of a metal detector. There is a separate page that includes treasures found without a metal detector.
Iron Age Detecting Finds
- The Silsden Hoard, a hoard of iron age gold coins.
- The Snettisham Treasure, Iron age gold torcs, coins and scrap precious metals
Roman Detecting Finds
- The Hoxne Treasure, a large hoard of late Roman Gold and Silver
- The Frome Hoard, a very large hoard of bronze roman coins.
- The Crosby Garrett Helmet, one of the most remarkable detecting finds ever, the Crosby Garrett helmet is thought to date from the first or second centuries AD.
Saxon/Viking Detecting Finds
- The Vale Of York Hoard, a hoard of Anglo-Saxon and Viking silver coins, jewellery and scrap silver.
- The Staffordshire Hoard, probably the largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold ever discovered.
Medieval Detecting Finds
- The Middleham Jewel (Middleham, North Yorkshire) A rare and beautiful medieval jeweled gold pendant.
- How to find hoards with a metal detector
- Metal Detecting Projects
- Stay up to date the latest treasure, metal detector and detecting news by visiting our metal detecting blog